This is a recipe for a delicious German side dish using cabbage: Creamed Cabbage German Style. It’s a great combination for mashed potatoes, Bratwurst, Frikadellen or a pork/beef roast. Super easy to make and so healthy! Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Creamed Cabbage German Style
1 small cabbage or if big, cut in half
3 tbsp butter
150 ml heavy cream
3 tbsp flour
1 small size onion
1 bay leave
salt, pepper to taste
hint of nutmeg
Cooking Instructions Creamed Cabbage
– Bring water to a boil.
– Chop cabbage into small pieces. Chop onions fine.
– Add onions, bay leave, salt, pepper and cabbage to the boiling water.
– Reduce heat, let cook for about 15 min. Cabbage should be “al dente”, so not too soft.
– Drain cabbage and keep the water. Remove bay leave.
– Melt butter, sieve the flout over butter and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is smooth.
– Add the cabbage water slowly, not the full amount. While stirring bring the sauce to boil and check if it has thickened. If not add more water. Make sure there are no clumps.
– Add heavy cream and bring again to a boil. Add the cabbage.
– Spice with salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste.
Enjoy! Guten Appetit! Find more yummy German recipes on Gabriele’s blog www.mybestgermanrecipes.com