Angel’s Eyes are a classic amongst the German Christmas Baking recipes. German christmas cookies are of rather small size; Angel’s Eyes are about 2 inches in diameter after baking. Try this one out and you will love it. Find more German recipes at www.MybestGermanrecipes.com
Ingredients (about 40 cookies)
70 g powdered sugar
150 g cold butter
240 g flour
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp vanilla sugar
6 tbsp milk
jam or jelly: red currant, apricot, quince, strawberry or raspberry – Find quince yelly here at German Deli
How you’ll make it
– Sieve powdered sugar into a bowl; chop butter into pieces.
– Add flour (use a flour sieve), egg yolks, and vanilla sugar; knead it with the dough hooks of the mixer.
– Then with cold hands knead a smooth dough on a wooden baking board (dust flour on the surface when kneading, so the dogh won’t stick on the board).
– Let it rest for about 30 minutes.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– Form cookies of walnut size and lay them out on a baking tray which is layered with baking paper.
– With the end of cooking spoon make one whole in the middle.
– Bake them for about 10 minutes.
– Mix 1 egg yolk with the milk and spread it over the cookies 2 minutes before they are done; then place them back into the oven, and bake them until done.
– On low heat warm up the jam or jelly in separate pans and stir them smoothly with a small whisking tool. If the jam consists of too many fruit particles pour it through a sieve so you would get pure jelly.
– With a small teaspoon fill the red and yellow jelly into the wholes in the cookies. Let it get firm, then keep them at a cool place.
– You can sprinkle them with some powdered sugar.