The old fashioned tomato soup is a classic and authentic German recipe as it was used by my grandmother. You would add rice to this soup which is a great combination with tomatoes. Important is to use ONLY ripe tomatoes to make this soup.
Alternatively you can use peeled tomatoes from the can but they should be without salt or any spices. Try this soup and you will make it over and over. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Old Fashioned Tomato Soup
2 lb fresh, ripe tomatoes
1 small carrot and 1 small onion
2 celery stalks
1 tbsp tomato paste and 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 twig fresh rosemary, basil, and oregano (can also be dried)
salt, pepper to taste
1 cube instant vegetable broth
4 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp cooked long grain rice
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
Cooking Instructions Old Fashioned Tomato Soup
– Chop onions fine.
– Cut carrot and celery in very small pieces.
– Remove the skin from the tomatoes by placing them briefly onto boiling hot water.
– Cut peeled tomatoes into smaller pieces.
– Heat butter and saute onions for 1-2 min. Add carrot and celery.
– Saute for another minute.
– Add the chopped tomatoes. Spice with salt and pepper, add tomato paste, vegetable broth cube and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
– Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30-40 min covered.
– Cook rice per instructions.
– Puree the soup with a stick mixer.
– Add rice, then heavy cream, bring to a brisk boil.
– Spice as needed with salt, pepper and decorate with some chopped parsley.
Enjoy! Guten Appetit! Find more yummy German recipes on Gabriele’s blog www.mybestgermanrecipes.com
Leave a Reply