German cucumber salad recipe, aka Gurkensalad, is one of Oma’s favorite summer salad recipes. Oma, from Quick German Recipes, says nothing beats this original rezept with which she grew up.
MY MUTTI’S GERMAN CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE
Ingredients (Serves 4)
– 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
– ½ cup sour cream
– ½ tsp dill, preferably fresh (or more to taste)
– 1½ tsp lemon juice
– 1½ tsp granulated sugar
– salt and pepper
1. Put thinly sliced cucumbers into serving bowl.
2. In separate bowl, mix sour cream, dill, lemon juice, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Just before serving, pour dressing over cucumbers and mix.
1. If you have time, you can pre-slice the cucumbers and sprinkle them with a little salt and let them stand. Pour off the accumulated cucumber “water” BEFORE adding the dressing.
2. Use vinegar instead of lemon juice.
3. Use low fat sour cream or plain yogurt instead of the regular sour cream.