The German World team, based in Los Angeles, has been suffering through this awful heat wave for the past few days! Wherever you are, we thought we would share a delicious and refreshing recipe for Erdbeerbowle (German Strawberry Wine Punch) to help cool down during the summer heat. We hope you enjoy! Thanks to The Spruce Eats for the recipe.
Ingredients (Yields 10 servings)
– 2 quarts strawberries (washed, hulled, and sliced)
– 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
– 2 lemons
– 1 bottle white wine (dry)
– 1 bottle white wine (sparkling)
– Garnish: fresh mint or fresh lemon balm
1. Place 2 quarts sliced strawberries in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar or to taste. Wash the 2 lemons and zest them. Then squeeze out the juice. Add both the juice and zest to the strawberries and let sit for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Drain and reserve the strawberry juice. Add 1 bottle dry white wine to the strawberries and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until the guests start arriving. Transfer the marinated strawberries to a punch bowl, and add the reserved strawberry juice and stir. Pour the 1 bottle of sparkling white wine into the bowl and serve.
3. To serve, ladle punch and strawberries into the glass, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint or fresh lemon balm, if desired, and serve with a cocktail pick, so that the guests can eat the strawberries.
Visit The Spruce Eats’ website to learn more about the history of Erdbeerbowle.